Server IP: play.cobalt-mc.com
  1. Welcome to Cobalt!

Welcome to the Cobalt network! This is a forum where members of our Minecraft server can communicate and interact. If you don't have Minecraft, buy it at minecraft.net.

If you've already joined our server, we invite you to sign up on our website by clicking the "Sign Up" button on the right. If you haven't logged onto our server yet, make sure to join our server with the Minecraft IP play.cobalt-mc.com, and then come back here to activate your Plus (+) rank!

We hope you enjoy your stay! Welcome!

Sorry about the downtime!

Discussion in 'Developer Ramblings' started by joshwenke, Mar 3, 2018.

1. joshwenke Active Member

• Forum Admin
    • Server Admin
    • Developer
    Hey Cobalt community,

I'd like to formally apologize for the downtime and problems we've been experiencing over the last month. I'll outline what happened and what we are doing to fix it, as well as some future plans in this post.

What's been happening?
    Since 2018, our database has again become very full. This was an issue for us back in 2014, but we have since updated most of our code to automatically clear data that should be deleted. Unfortunately, since we've been running the same database for almost 3 years, we've accumulated over 4 million variables! This filled up our hard drive to almost max capacity. We were actually at 100% capacity starting about two weeks ago, which is why the computer has been offline. I finally went to physically fix it as the remote connection stopped working when the hard drive filled up.

A simple solution would be replacing our current hard drive with one that has more capacity, and potentially adding another one for extra file storage. Unfortunately, this is way outside of our current budget. With the server being offline/unstable for the last few weeks, our donations have been much less. While I'm not surprised about this, I've had to work extra to pay for the monthly hosting costs, and any infrastructure investments wouldn't be practical in the long-term, since we are going to be switching to a dedicated server in the summer (so problems like this won't happen).

How are we going to fix it?
    I spent a few hours going through the four million variables one-by-one and deleting chunks of stuff that could be removed. We now are at about 80% capacity on the hard drive, but we'll face this exact same problem in a few months. I am still figuring out the best way to clear old data, and I will probably write a system that scrolls through the data and clears unnecessary stuff. If there are problems with the server, make sure to use the #help channel on Discord, as it pings all of our staff members.

What is going to happen to Cobalt in the future?
    The current code that runs our server is inefficient and has been known to make the servers lag, shut down unexpectedly, and store tons of unnecessary data. A long-term solution isn't as simple as changing some of the code. Unfortunately, ALL of it must be updated. Our development team saw this issue a few months ago and we have already begun rewriting all of our code to be more modular, AND to work with the recent 1.12/1.13 updates. We are excited to announce that a completely updated version of Cobalt will be coming this summer. I'll post some of the exciting features and open the new server up to the community to help test out.

Again, my deepest apologizes for the problems we've been having – but I promise that Cobalt has a lot in store for the future! If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Shiba Well-Known Member

• Elite
    Thanks for letting us know!